Monday, January 19, 2009

Newport, Newport its a heck of a town....

We took advantage of the long weekend and went camping. Not tent camping, we gave that up years ago! In an Arctic Fox camper made for all kinds of weather. And we do use it in all weather!
We got really lucky this weekend though, it is never....NEVER! nice at the coast. We lived there for years, I know this, NEVER nice! But this weekend for what ever reason the weather was amazing! It was clear sky's, and warm! No wind until Monday. Great!

When we left our house on Saturday morning it was 32, when we got to the beach around 1pm it was in the high 60s!


We got a great site right next to the kids play area and set up camp. Then off to the water front of Old Newport. We wondered the streets and then toured the famous Ripley's Believe it or Not! It was cool, kinda spooky, all very dark. The kids were freaked out for part of it. But then they started to relax and have fun. I cant say it is really worth what you pay for it, but it was cool.


Then it was on to check out one of the many docks that cover the downtown parts of Newport. Saw some sea lions napping, some guys crabbing and a bum asked us for a bus ticket. Bought some fresh shrimp and oysters and went back to the campground.


Sunday was another beautiful day, so we went down to the beach for a bit. The kids got to ride their bikes on the beach and boy did they think that was cool. Caymus watched some surfers take on the HUGE swells, cool dude! Then we ran into the little girl the kids had been playing with in the play ground, so they started making sand pies and having a blast.


After lunch and more play in the play ground, we headed out to the OSU Marine Science Museum. This is a very cool place to visit! They have touch tanks, an octopus and lots of other marine displays. The best part is they run off of donations, not charging you a grip. Not that I am always looking for the cheep way to do things....ok I am, but some places just charge you so stinking much it makes it not as fun because all your doing the whole time is thinking "I have to see every single thing here to get my monies worth!"


The kids had been there in November with my parents for Lucy's birthday and all said it was great. That time Lucy got to put her finger in the octopus' tank and let her "taste" her finger. This time they said that poor "MIA" is getting way to aggressive and is trying to pull anyone who gets close enough in to get a better "taste"! So no fingers in the tank this time.

It was an amazing weekend for all, the kids made friends and played a ton, Marshall and I got to hang and watch our kids enjoy life. We had some great family time on the beach, watching movies in the camper, going to the museum's and just being close to eachother!

1 comment:

Riahli said...

How wonderful! I love family trips, we need to get a camper soon, because I am so done with tent camping, but I love camping. I always swore I would never get one, that tent camping was the only real way to go, but the older I get the nicer it sounds.

I know what you mean about those places that charge you an arm and a leg, you feel like you some how have to make dang sure you get your monies worth, and I can't help but feel let down most of the time. I like looking for fun things to do that cost little or no money, I always seems to enjoy them much more! Especially now that we are a family of five, it is getting harder and harder to do anything that charges an administration fee!

I'm pretty sure we went to that same marine science museum with J years ago when we went on a vacation to the Or. coast. I remember the Ripley's Believe It or Not, but we were to cheap to actually go in, much to J's disappointment.

Man, talking about the Or. coast really makes me want to go on vacation there, we haven't been since Bubu was a baby.

That is so awesome that the weather worked out for you guys :)