Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Three Kings Day

January 6th is a special day at our house. It is Three Kings Day. Marshall grew up celebrating the holiday and always felt like it was his own special holiday. It is mostly celebrated in Latin communities and in the Caribbean islands. He has passed on this special day with the kids and this year they all really got into decorating their boxes!


Since it is not my special holiday and I am not Puerto Rican, I do not know all the details but this is what I do know....the 6th is 2 weeks after Christmas and that is the day that the Kings arrived to give Jesus his gifts. (Lucy said "so its like Jesus' birthday party") Children decorate shoe boxes and leave them out and when the kings pass by they leave gifts in them. The boxes must have hay, grass or something to for the camels to eat.



I dug out some shoe boxes, they all decorated them, then left a piece of celery, a baby carrot and one skittle (for the kings) in them and put them by the fireplace. And in the morning, there were gifts in the boxes!!! Amazing!
This year when I was in Germany, we toured the Dom Cathedral in Cologne and apparently this is where the three kings remains are kept. I did not know this until we were there staring at the beautiful gold chest that is heavily guarded. Every year on Jan 6th the chest is opened and the bones are counted and they confirm that they really are the remains of the Three Kings. So there you have it folks! Happy Three Kings Day to all!

1 comment:

Riahli said...

Oh that's really cool, I've never heard of celebrating it like that. My mom always talked about Three Kings Day, but we never really celebrated it.