I did it!!! I ran a half marathon. 13.1 miles. And I met my goals for the race. It was EPIC!
 |
| The hardware and the proof! |
Here is a play by play of my day.....
Got home very late (11pm) on Saturday and headed strait to bed (more on that in a later post).
Up at 6:30 with butterflies in my tummy....Tried to go through my normal morning routine as well as I could. Water, Buttered Coffee, 2 eggs with half an advacado, more water, banana. Got all my gear together and packed up. Paced the house a few dozen times while waiting for the Beast to get ready. Headed to the school/race zone about an hour pre race. Picked up my packet, hugs and greetings to folks. Lots of excitement and nerves in the air. I was to be running as part of the local Team RWB group, (
Team RWB, Enriching the lives of veterans) and loaned a shirt to wear. Really cool to be part of an awesome group. This really added to the entire experience.
 |
| Team RWB |
T minus 15 minuets, headed outside to "warm up". I don't really warm up usually, and again wanting to stick with my routine, I didn't want to mess up by doing any strange warmup and hurting myself. But it was good to get outside and used to the colder weather, and start moving around and working out the nerves.
A few weeks ago, my friend Rhiannon and I had decided we should run together. She has been training too and we have been keeping a close eye on each others pace. Since we had the same time goal and same pace, it only made sense to stick together. Her knowing her training partners would be kicking it in at some point and running their own race, as they should :-)
On your mark, get set, GO!!!! And we were off!!! So exciting being in that heard of people. 3 huge American flags leading our way. I love the energy of the start of a race. Finding your stride and pace, weaving your way through the crowd. We started to settle in and were in good spirits. The 3 of us, Rhiannon, Lisa and myself. I felt great, healthy, ready. Around mile 5, we started to meet the people coming back from the early group (an hour before our race, a group started the half that were going to take longer than 2.5 hours or were walking). The good jobs started and that keep us going for quiet some time. Then the speedy winners of our race started to come by, that was impressive. So fast. Like crazy fast. Still our good jobs keep coming, more and more frequently. I love the spirit of the running community. So much positive energy.
Around mile 6, we came across a large group of cheering fans, as I got closer I realized most of my were MY fans!!!! OMG I was so happy and surprised to see my best friends there cheering away!
We finally made it to the turn around point! Wow that took awhile! Knowing we would be going back past my cheering section was super encouraging! And they were awesome again! I was afraid that my face was going to hurt more than anything in the end because I was smiling so much, like the entire time.
 |
| HEY I KNOW YOU!!! |
 |
| YAY encouragement! |
 |
| Seriously, could I have a bigger smile? LOVED THIS SO MUCH! |
 |
| Running buddies! Go girls go! |
Miles 9, 10, 11 were very long. We kept good pace. By this time it was the 2 of us and we kept each other going.
Around mile 12, I was starting to get pretty tired. My feet were sore. But knowing we were less than 15 minuets away from victory kept me going. Then rounding the corner and heading into the final stretch, we kicked it in and enjoyed the finish. Who knew after 13 miles we still had it in us to sprint (well it felt like a sprint) to the finish? Crazy what the body and mind can do. I look up and see the race clock telling me I am going to make my goal of under 2 hours!!!! OMG really? I did it??? YESSSSSSSS 1 hour, 59 minuets, 8 second!!! And NO WALKING!!!!!
I was met at the finish by my family cheering and jumping up and down, my best friends screaming their heads off and Pea at the end with a camera, tears and a huge hug. I have never felt so much love by so many people in all my life. I had no idea.
Race stats:
13.1 miles, 1:59:08 time, 9:06 min mile avg.
45*, showers, light wind gusts.
FREAKING AMAZING!!!!
 |
| FINISH LINE!!! |
 |
| Oh my goodness what did I just do? |
 |
| My loves |
 |
| So much support, no words. |
 |
| He is proud of his mama. |
 |
| My Pea!! |
 |
| My running buddy!! Thank you for the support my friend! |
 |
| Proud of myself! |
Thank you to everyone who has been on this journey with me, your love, support, and encouragement has kept me going and I am so thankful for all of you!
2 comments:
Awww this made my eyes spring a leak! So sweet! Good job Marlea, way to put in the hard work!
I am crying. AGAIN! No surprise there right? I can't help it - I'M JUST SO DANG PROUD OF YOU! You have shown such inspiring dedication over the past 12 weeks. Thank you for sharing your journey! Love you Pea!
Post a Comment